Wednesday, August 7, 2013

1 Month

     Well, exactly one month from today I will be on my way. My flight leaves at 9:45 on Saturday, September 7 (looking at the clock know I realized that it's actually 9:45). As my time comes closer, I'm getting more excited, but then I get somewhat nervous, then really excited, and that's the way that my emotions go. Yesterday I was sitting at the airport waiting for my mom to come pick me up from a weekend trip that I went on, and I couldn't help but think "Next time I'm here, I'll be leaving." I was sitting there for awhile and I saw a lot of goodbyes but also welcome homes. It was a good foreshadowing to what I will be going through in the next month. I've had to say goodbye again to several of my friends. What made it easier was knowing that we all have something very exciting going on and lots of changes! So I know that the next time I see them, it will be epic!

     This month is going to be extremely busy. I'm still trying to figure out all what I need to pack and how I'm going to be able to fit all the stuff and the donations of school supplies into my suitcases! It's a good thing I like puzzles because I have a feeling that it will be a lot like trying to put together a very large puzzle. I also have a lot of family time this month. In a couple weekends my whole family is going to North Carolina for a family vacation! I'm super excited to be able to spend a week with my family! I pray that The Lord will truly bless the time that we have together!!!

     I also received some information on what my first couple days in Tanzania will be like. Reading the information was super exciting! It made the fact that I'm leaving really soon seem more like a reality instead of an event in the future. I will be arriving in Dar es Salaam late on Sunday evening. I will be picked up from the airport by a group of Tanzanians and they will begin the process of integrating me into the society and culture of Tanzania. I will spend my first day in their care doing the activities that they have planned out for me including: eating, shopping, Internet cafe, nap and a shower. From there I will travel across the country by bus to the city of Mafinga. On this bus, I will be "on my own". Along the way, I'll be given water and a soda and some crackers so that I might learn what it feels like to be a little bit hungry, and then when the bus stops at a roadside place, I will be able to enjoy Tanzania cuisine. After a night in Mafinga I will hopefully make it to the village of Igoda where I will be living and training for the next two weeks. Sounds exciting!!

     I was given some really good advice by a lady in my church who has done a lot of mission work. She told me "Don't try to keep one foot in both worlds." Meaning that when I'm in Tanzania, I need to not think about what I might be missing back in the States, or what my family might be doing at that time. It also means that I will try to fully immerse myself into the culture and the lives of the people I will be spending my time with. Truthfully, this is the part that I am most looking forward too! I'm looking forward to making relationships with my students as well as the adults of the village, I'm also looking forward to eating the food and learning the language and customs! When I think about that, the nerves that I was talking about earlier go away and is easily replaced by excitement!! I'm also really excited to be a part of the amazing things that God has in store for me! I know that He has gone ahead of me, and is preparing everything in advance! Oh, the joy of being able to be a part of that experience.

     Thank you again for your prayers and to everyone who has signed up for a week of prayer! I have only 27 more spots before every week is covered at least twice and some three times!! Thank you!

     In Christ,

Alexandra Dodde 

No comments:

Post a Comment